Bear Facts

The student news site of Vestal High School, Vestal, NY

Bear Facts

Bear Facts

Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite part of spring?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

April Crossword
April Crossword
April 22, 2024
https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/empty-red-armchairs-of-a-theater-ready-for-a-show-gm1295114854-388925081
Fact or Fiction?
April 19, 2024
How to Draw
How to Draw
April 19, 2024

Senior Series: Hannah Salim

Hannah Salim is one of my close friends and one of the wisest people I know. I wanted to interview her because I knew she would have some good advice and she did not disappoint! You may know Hannah as President of the Art Club, chess club, National Honors Society, or randomly walking into AP classes to tell you how scary they are. 

Hannah is a high-achieving student and plans to go to Clemson University for chemical engineering. She is excited about college but reflected on her high school experience with me. She said she’d love to try Freshman year again without COVID if she could redo anything from her high school years. The pandemic mangled the year so much that she couldn’t even imagine doing things that seem normal now, like going to football games, dances, or friends’ houses. Hannah says her friends are important parts of her life. She said they’ve defined her experience and is grateful for the connections she made in high school. She hopes her friendships continue growing even after her senior year is over. 

Hannah is inspired by the world around her, especially the people around her. She said that one thing that always makes her smile is seeing others smile. She also said she is motivated by those around her. While her friends encourage her to push herself, Hannah said one important lesson she learned during high school is to not care about what others think of you. She said, “Nobody cares! You care a lot, but nobody else really cares, and if they do they’re insecure. A lot of people are going to be mean because they’re insecure. Be a little more secure in yourself.” Hannah thinks that you should search for approval within yourself, not others. 

In terms of academics, Hannah excelled in school and thinks it is important to push yourself. A study method that works for her is using a study buddy to review topics and hold herself accountable. A piece of advice she got that proved to be correct is “If you wait until the last minute it only takes a minute to do” but she says you probably shouldn’t follow that advice. Instead, Hannah encourages you to think and talk about the material outside of class and immerse yourself in the learning process as much as possible. Hannah said, “I used to think that I needed to have a one hundred or the highest grades to be successful or to make my parents proud and then I realized that’s a very small slice of what’s important.” Hannah went on to speak about how important it is to learn how to be social and balance work and life. At the moment, she is looking forward to college, though she is a bit apprehensive because it is so unknown. We all wish her luck and happiness at Clemson and are so excited to stay in touch!