Bear Facts

The student news site of Vestal High School, Vestal, NY

Bear Facts

Bear Facts

Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite part of spring?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

April Crossword
April Crossword
April 22, 2024
https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/empty-red-armchairs-of-a-theater-ready-for-a-show-gm1295114854-388925081
Fact or Fiction?
April 19, 2024
How to Draw
How to Draw
April 19, 2024

Senior Series #1: Ian Chung

Senior year is the culmination of everything a high schooler has worked towards throughout their adolescence. With college applications looming on the horizon, it’s one of high school’s most important and stressful periods. It is easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of homework, SAT prep, college visits, and, of course, the dreaded college essay. 

For the first edition of this senior series, who better to interview than Ian Chung, valedictorian of the 2024 senior class? Anyone who knows Ian knows his work ethic is commendable and he has lots of experience outside of high school. Last year, Ian was a senate page, where he got to live in the capital of the U.S. and experience some of the behind-the-scenes action of the senate. On his experience as a page, Ian said, “D.C.’s impact was revealed after, because I recognized the people on the news and politics is now much more personal after meeting those people.” Ian also spoke on how he feels more prepared for college after the experience, “because it taught me to live on my own.” 

When asked what advice he would give to his freshman self, Ian said, “Find something you’re interested in and if you don’t have anything just try and apply for a bunch of things. Actually go out and do it and find something that interests you.” 

As valedictorian, one might think Ian has a complex study method that involves flashcards, study guides, or hundreds of notebooks. Instead, Ian said the study method that works for him is simply hour-blocking. He writes out what he intends to work on each hour, and then follows the plan. His advice is “stay on top of deadlines – use the agenda book or get your own planner.”

Ian noted that one thing he would change about his high school experience is how focused he was on academics. He spoke about how during COVID, he made the decision to go fully remote and that had a negative impact on his social life. After returning, he prioritized interpersonal relationships and said the community he has found is now one of the things he will miss most about VHS.

Ian is hitting upon a philosophical concept of “instrumental value” – that some things are good but not valued for themselves. Ian’s advice is, “look for things you are interested in – that makes it easier to find your group.” Instead of staying at home studying all the time, it is good for you to focus on enjoying the journey. Have a sleepover, go to the movies, build close friendships – don’t look at the next four years as a time to cocoon yourself in textbooks.

While Ian is sad about leaving, he feels ready. He is interested in politics, ethics, and constitutional law and claimed he has no concerns about life after high school. When asked if he intends to focus on anything this year, he mentioned spending time with family because, “It hit me recently that I’ll be moving out in less than a year.” Ian’s parting comment is, “Gentleman, you won’t have me to kick around anymore because this is my last press conference.”