Bear Facts

The student news site of Vestal High School, Vestal, NY

Bear Facts

Bear Facts

Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite part of spring?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

April Crossword
April Crossword
April 22, 2024
https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/empty-red-armchairs-of-a-theater-ready-for-a-show-gm1295114854-388925081
Fact or Fiction?
April 19, 2024
How to Draw
How to Draw
April 19, 2024

How to Plan a Class Party

How to Plan a Class Party

Whether it’s for Halloween, Thanksgiving, winter break, or the last day of school, it’s never too early to plan a party. Class parties can help build a close-knit community within the classroom and school at large. Food brings people closer together by helping start conversations, share traditions, and build shared experiences. The steps:

• Ask your teacher if you can have a party.

It may seem obvious, but it is a very necessary first step. Make sure to have a date in mind to start with. Don’t be afraid to ask further in advance so you and your teacher can make any necessary preparations. It is not a bad idea to ask your teacher in front of the whole class so everybody knows about it and can support your argument in favor of the party.

• Make a sign-up sheet

An easy way to organize the sheet is to have people write their name and the item(s) they plan to bring in a T-chart format, with the title being something like “class party” and the intended date. The best way to get people to interact with the sheet is to pass it around the class (with the teacher’s permission). But if that fails, make sure to announce the sheet and set it somewhere visible and accessible so people can write on it on their way out.

• Have a Wishlist 

It may be beneficial to write down a Wishlist above the chart or on a separate piece of paper because oftentimes people can’t think of what to bring. Some necessities include cups, plates, and plastic/silverware. I recommend having chips, some sort of fruit, and one or two big bottles of soda to start. It is also important to give people a space to anonymously write down any allergies and their severity, so no one needs to go to the nurse.

• Make sure food can be stored

Some people may want to bring perishable items, and if your party is during 9th period, you may have to do some more planning. Ask your teacher if they know of a fridge their students can use that day. Oftentimes, their department office has a fridge you can use. If they don’t, ask another teacher you are close with if they could help. Maybe their office has a fridge you can use. Some foreign language teachers also have fridges in their rooms you can ask to use. Worst comes to worst: you can find a good cooler and some ice packs and leave them in the classroom until the party.

• Figure out any activities

Your teacher may want to get through content even though you have a party so be thankful you were able to have one and be courteous. If they don’t have anything planned, decide whether you want it to be casual and have everyone talk among themselves or if you want to play some icebreaker games. Maybe charades? Pictionary?

• Allot time for cleanup

Leave about five minutes at the end of the period to ensure you don’t leave your teacher with a mess.