Bear Facts

The student news site of Vestal High School, Vestal, NY

Bear Facts

Bear Facts

Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite part of spring?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

April Crossword
April Crossword
April 22, 2024
https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/empty-red-armchairs-of-a-theater-ready-for-a-show-gm1295114854-388925081
Fact or Fiction?
April 19, 2024
How to Draw
How to Draw
April 19, 2024

Music Prez Presents!

What do a floating flute melody, a piercing clear voice, and a mellow violin solo have in common? Vestal’s Music Department Presidents of 2023-2024 welcome the school into a brand new year of joyful music-making. Let’s hear what they have to say about themselves!

I asked the following 10 questions to each of our seniors about themselves, their musical life, and a fun fact.

Questions:

1. Name, grade, instrument/section
  2. What does band/orchestra/voices mean to you?
  3. Why is band/orchestra/voices better than the other two music departments?
  4. What’s a fun musical fact about yourself?
  5. What’s a fun non-musical factabout yourself?
  6. Who’s the best music teacher?
  7. How many hours do you practice every week?
  8. What’s your favorite classical/non-classical piece/song?
  9. What’s your favorite piece/song you are learning in class right now?
  10. Anything else you’d like to share about the life of a musician?

Mariel (Above Image):

1. Hi! My name is Mariel Flint, I am a senior and I play Violin.
  2. Orchestra means the world to me; it is such a significant part of my life and I love the community around it. I have met some of my best friends in orchestra, it really is a family.
  3. Orchestra is the highest awarded music ensemble out of the three so logistically we are the best…
  4. I have been playing violin for almost 11years! I started that young because my dad has been playing violin most of his life.
  5. My favorite flower is a daisy.
  6. I love all of the music teachers, but I have known Ms. Wilson the longest…(don’t tell her I said this)!
  7. It really depends on the week, but I would say around 3 hours. 
  8. My favorite song ever is Mr.Brightside by The Killers (I saw them live!!!).
  9. It would have to be the Brandenburg Concerto No.3; I usually favor the slower pieces but this one is super fun.
  10. The life of a musician is constantly debating whether you picked the best instrument to play when you started.

Mia Perfetti:

1. My name is Mia Perfetti. I am a senior, and I play the flute.
  2. Band is the perfect escape from other classes. Band lets me hang out and make music with some of my closest friends.
  3. Band is the best music department because of how many options band students have! We obviously have concert band, but students can also participate in jazz band or the (state-championship winning) marching band.
  4. Flute is actually my second instrument! I played classical piano from age 7 to 14 and still
    play here and there in different music groups.
  5. I am planning to study biochemistry in college.
  6. Obviously Ms. Pham is the best music teacher! Maybe I just think that because we’re a little too alike…
  7. Definitely not as much as I should. When solo season comes around, probably four hours a week.
  8. Danse Macabre by Saint-Saëns.
  9. Sòlas Ané
  10. The life of a musician is often frustrating, but music is one of the best things one can spend their time doing.

Alaina Domingo:

1. My name is Alaina Domingo, I’m a senior, and I tend to sing alto/tenor.
  2. I’m so lucky to be able to be a part of a group like Vestal Voices. I’ve learned so much and some of my favorite experiences I’ve ever had are because of it. 
  3. Voices is the best because we get to do so many fun performances other than concerts. Singing grams, caroling, and singing at events throughout the community are some of the best parts of Voices.
  4. I’ve been singing since before I could talk. 
  5. I love to sew!
  6. I could never choose between my four favorite teachers. I love them all equally! (It’s Mr. Backus).
  7. Because my voice is my instrument, it’s easy to practice whenever I want. I’m usually singing almost 24/7, but I’m not sure how much you could count as actually practicing…
  8. My favorite piece is the second movement of Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7. 
  9. Moon River arr. Ben Bram. The arrangement and harmonies are beautiful and so fun to sing. 
  10. As someone who is constantly thinking about music, each of my memories has a song associated with it.