New Guidance Counselor at VHS: Leanne Schneider

Maggie Zhang, Journalist

Mrs. Schneider is a new guidance counselor at Vestal High School. However, this does not mean she doesn’t have previous experience working as one! In fact, she worked for the Tioga Central School District for the last seven years. She was in charge of a mighty 1,200 students in grades K-12. When asked about the difference between working at Tioga and Vestal, she responded, “ At Vestal, a lot of the guidance is directed through Google Classroom. In my old district, we didn’t use Google at all. Also, there are a lot of clubs here at Vestal that Tioga didn’t have. Vestal is a much bigger district at Tioga”.
“What are some of your favorite parts about working at Vestal so far,” I asked her next. After some deep thought, Mrs. Schneider replied, “I love how organized the Vestal guidance department is. For example, I’m currently in charge of two hundred and fifty students, the recommended amount for each guidance counselor. At Tioga, I was in charge of a lot more students, so I didn’t get to know them individually very well. With my new guidance size, I wish to know my new students personally and learn about their hobbies and interests”.
Mrs. Schneider then told me she went to Hartwick college for undergrad, starting as a nursing major and later changed into psychology. For her masters, she went to SUNY Oneonta for school counseling.
Wanting to know Mrs. Schneider outside the context of her work, I inquired about what she likes to do in her free time. I learned that Mrs Schneider loves football, especially the Buffalo Bills. I also learned that hiking keeps her energized and she tries to do it as much as possible whenever she’s not busy driving around her three kids to their sporting practices and games. She also loves to eat steak and potatoes. French fries are her favorite.
Finally, did you know that Mrs. Schneider likes to wear her socks inside out?