Bear Facts

The student news site of Vestal High School, Vestal, NY

Bear Facts

Bear Facts

Poll

What is the thing you are looking forward to doing this summer?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

April Crossword
April Crossword
April 22, 2024
https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/empty-red-armchairs-of-a-theater-ready-for-a-show-gm1295114854-388925081
Fact or Fiction?
April 19, 2024
How to Draw
How to Draw
April 19, 2024

The Point of Our Pledge

Undated.+Scanned+from+a+negative.%0AFrom+Wikimedia+Commons+
Undated. Scanned from a negative. From Wikimedia Commons

We all know the feeling, first period, too tired to think, let alone stand and mumble some words to a flag. How often do you stop and think about what you say? “I pledge allegiance to the Flag and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under god, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” Did you know the first time students said the pledge of allegiance was October 21, 1892? The pledge was meant to convey pride in America and loyalty to our country. However, there are many modern-day problems with our pledge.

The main argument against the pledge is how everyone, no matter what religion or belief, must pledge under God. In 1954 congress added “under god” at the height of the cold war to distinguish the United States from “godless Communism.” In 2004, an atheist father brought a case against this addition to court, but to no avail. Three judges ruled that the pledge did not violate the first amendment right to separate church and state. However, mentioning God in a required pledge seems like it is a violation of the first amendment and can definitely take away from the intended purpose of the pledge. According to Pew Research Center, 30% of Americans are religiously unaffiliated.

The pledge is meant to be a daily reminder of loyalty and strength of the U.S. While we are one of the only countries to require a pledge in school, many other countries also have pledges. In India, the pledge is focused on respect, unity, and love for others. A line reads “I shall give my parents, teachers and all elders respect and treat everyone with courtesy.” Nigeria also bases the pledge on community, and loyalty with “I pledge to Nigeria my country, to be faithful, loyal and honest.” I believe that a pledge should be unifying and for everyone, not a statement of allegiance, and absolutely not a statement under God.

I believe that the pledge of allegiance needs to be seriously revised. After all, our country has, and continues to change since 1892. A new pledge should reflect on the actual values our country wants, like unity, loyalty, and kindness. A Pledge of Allegiance should reflect a country’s dreams, and have meaning, not just be a mindless chant.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/pledge-allegiance-pr-gimmick-patriotic-vow-180956332/.