Bear Facts

The student news site of Vestal High School, Vestal, NY

Bear Facts

Bear Facts

Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite part of spring?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

April Crossword
April Crossword
April 22, 2024
https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/empty-red-armchairs-of-a-theater-ready-for-a-show-gm1295114854-388925081
Fact or Fiction?
April 19, 2024
How to Draw
How to Draw
April 19, 2024

What is Ramadan?

Image+by+pikisuperstar+on+Freepik+
Image by pikisuperstar on Freepik

What is it?

Ramadan, or Ramazan, is a holy Muslim holiday in which Muslims around the world fast from sunrise to sunset. Fasting is the act of not drinking and eating for a certain period. 

When does it happen?

Ramadan happens every year for 30 days. The timing of Ramadan changes every year based on the Islamic calendar. The time of Ramadan is determined by the sighting of the new moon. Ramadan is moved up by approximately 11 days each year. This marks the beginning of the Islamic calendar. 

Why do Muslims celebrate at different times?

Islamic scholars have unique methods in figuring out when the new moon is considered seen. Some are old-school, where the scholar themselves see the moon. New-age scholars use science tools to depict moon sightings.  

What is a typical fasting day?

The typical fasting day for Muslims looks like waking up bright and early for suhoor or sehri. This is right before sunrise. Muslims will eat healthy, fulfilling protein foods during this time to keep them fulfilled during the day. They also drink lots of water. After sunrise, Muslims pray the first prayer out of their 5 prayers per day. Muslims typically go back to sleep or remain awake depending on their schedule. They will continue with praying their five prayers until it is time for the 4th prayer of the day. This is when sunset appears, in which Muslims will break their fast. Muslims around the world typically eat dates to break their fast and drink either water or a fruit drink. 

What happens after Ramadan?

Right after Ramadan most Muslims will have Eid. However, Shia Muslims (a sect of Islam) celebrate much later than Sunni Muslims. It is a festivity right after Ramadan because it celebrates Muslims fasting from sunrise to sunset for 30 days, which, as you can guess, is pretty difficult, but it’s worth it for many Muslims.

Representation:

Fasting represents the act of not eating. Fasting helps Muslims understand life in deeper ways as it helps them understand what not eating can feel like. During Ramadan, Muslims are also encouraged to donate money to people in need.  

Overall, Ramadan is a beautiful holiday that helps Muslims understand life in various ways, and it’s also a time of bonding for people around the world.