Susannah Stuppel: Cake it Easy Columnist

Sriram Chakravadhanula, History Columnist

Susannah Stuppel, 17, is a senior at Vestal Senior High School who loves pink and blue and enjoys playing guitar. Partly following her brother Alex’s footsteps, Susannah plans on attending Binghamton University. Although her plans after Binghamton are still on the drawing board, she is paving her own path in her chosen major of sociology.

Susannah has had a very successful four years in high school, participating in Bearfacts, NHS, Spanish Club, and Interact Club. Susannah’s drive to pursue her interests does not stop at school, however. Susannah volunteers at Lourdes Center for Family Health to gain more exposure and experience in a more clinical environment.

Particularly in Bearfacts, Susannah has been an invaluable member of the school newspaper, rising to the position of columnist. Columnists have monthly deadlines on a column topic and is a very difficult title to uphold. Susanah is a food columnist and writes new recipes every month to reflect the theme of the month. (Check out her March Madness cookies and February cake pops). Susannah transformed her hobby of cooking into a fun educational experience for all Vestal high school students. When asked about how she was inspired, Susannah replied, “I’m very inspired by my grandmother, Bubbe, who is constantly cooking and baking…. She is always reading my latest columns!”

Writing for Bearfacts, however, is more than just fun for Susannah. It is also an educational experience for her. “Through submitting a Bear Facts article every month, I have learned how to stay on top of deadlines, which is a very important skill,” claims Susannah when asked how Bear Facts will impact her future. Her graduation from Vestal will not stop her from pursuing her passions. Susannah shares that she will continue to cook and try new recipes because of how fun the whole experience was for her.

Lastly, Susannah was asked what advice she would give to incoming freshmen at both the Highschool and Bearfacts. Her biggest advice was for freshmen to always try new things, whether that be clubs, sports, classes, or people. She also highly recommended Bearfacts to prospective journalists, writers, or just about anyone interested in improving their writing while pursuing their interests and hobbies.