Book review for Parachutes by Kelly Yang

Jia Parikh, Journalist

Parachutes is about two girls, Dani and Claire, who grew up in different worlds but had the strength to push through their traumatic experiences. It is a story of their struggles and their growth as people. The two girls work hard for their freedom and even harder for the life that they want. Parachutes consists of standing up against racism, sexual assault, privilege, corruption, and a culture that casts females as inferior. Claire is a very wealthy parachute, or foreign exchange student, from Shanghai. Dani is a Filipino girl with a scholarship struggling to find success in a school full of rich kids. Kelly Yang, the author, portrays them to be so human that you feel connected to the characters as if you are right beside them. 

Parachutes is a young adult fiction book that is inspired by the author’s own experiences with racism and sexual assault. It is about women, who stand by and empower one another, especially when times are rough. These girls struggle to find the good in a world that seems bad, but together they find their way and help others during the journey. This is a book I would recommend to everyone, so they can inform themselves about people’s internal struggles. You never know what others are facing until you step into their shoes and take a nice, long look. That’s why I think everyone should look outside themselves and into the lives of Dani and Claire by reading Parachutes