Guidance News: April

Guidance News: April

Marina Zakrajsek, Guidance News Columnist

Sophomores:

Sophomores just meet with counselors to discuss IB diplomas and possibilities for community service 

Sophomores also attend a BOCES trip that allows students to see the different programs offered and decide if those are something they are interested in. If so you will want to speak to a counselor to get a schedule that works for you.

Juniors: 

Counselors are helping with the RYLA program which allows juniors to spend a weekend on a college campus and learn how to communicate and be a good leader.

Junior College Night was successful, with around 100 viewers turning in to watch the discussion with plenty of college advisors from Binghamton University, Suny Broome, RIT and more.

27 Juniors have passed the first level of screening for the New Visions program and are working on preparing interviews for the next step of the process in the competitive program.

Seniors:

It is now scholarship season and counselors are working on getting seniors matched up with schools and scholarships to start the next chapter in their lives.

All Students:

Summer School planning is underway for this coming summer, deciding the location and the means of the material.

Students who have had COVID for long periods of time are being offered programs after school to sit one on one with teachers to learn the material they missed in person while not at school.

Students with disabilities are currently having an annual review that helps to evaluate the current plan and discuss plans for the next coming year. Vestal has around 100 students that fall under the criteria of special education and the school wants to provide the best schedules for the students. 

Regents have been officially ordered for this coming June, so the year is quickly approaching the end!

Guidance:

On our last half-day the counselors visited Broome Community College to get information on competitive health care discussing the different offers UHS, Lordes, and Guthrie offer. UHS is offering to pay for students’ college while also providing them a salary for attending school with only a one year commitment. This is a great offer for students planning to go into nursing, physical therapy and other health fields!

Mental health has taken a toll on a lot of students, who have shared feelings of anxiety and depression. If you need some resources, the Guidance office is always available, especially during this transition period as we drift away from COVID times.