Guidance News: January

Marina Zakrajsek, Guidance News Columnist

Scheduling:

Scheduling is underway for all students. 9th-grade classrooms met with guidance counselors to create schedules and discuss options moving forward. 11th graders will be meeting with counselors one on one to make their schedules for their upcoming senior year.

10th graders have the ability to pick to participate in a class at BOCES when making their new schedules, which is a two-year commitment (but has more class opportunities for different specific fields than at VHS alone). 

January also marks the annual review for Vestal students with a disability, which includes more than 100 students. Those students with Individualized Education Plans get to reflect on what works and adjust to get ready for the new year.

The upcoming second semester is also a time to add new classes for students and provides a period of intermission for students that need it. The official date to drop a course is February 1st.

Seniors:

It is that time for a final push for seniors. Plenty of scholarships are available and assigned to seniors that fit the criteria, and last year over 100,000 dollars worth of scholarships were given away to VHS students.

Seniors need 25 hours of community service for Participation in Government/ IB Economics class. There are plenty of opportunities to get in community service hours around the area.

Juniors:

BOCES’ New Visions program is meeting with juniors on 2/2 to talk about the program. Teachers and a panel of current students involved will be there to both provide information and answer questions from prospective students.

Plenty of new opportunities is available to juniors, one of which allows juniors to go to Clayton Ave Elementary for a period and work with some of the kids in a classroom.

Bank jobs are also open to juniors (and newly seniors) during the school day to get some pay. Students can also work on weekends, summers, and breaks within Visions itself. 

Community Service:

VHS plans to have community service field trips for students and hoping to help different organizations that benefit the community like Habitat for Humanity and the Salvation Army

At the moment there is availability to help clean up the community with NHS helping to organize a clean-up specifically for students to gain community service hours. Vestal teachers adopted land from the high school down to Joann Fabrics and will be picking up trash with volunteers.

NHS:

NHS has created a tutoring service available to students that need extra help from tutors, with a focus on students that have been out due to COVID. A late bus will be provided and it will be held from 3-4 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, as well as a couple of periods throughout the day. Any student is welcome to drop in for tutoring.

NHS also helped with welcoming the upcoming students at this year’s 8th-grade orientation where a scavenger hunt allowed students to travel throughout the high school.

IB and Advanced Courses:

An IB Info Night was presented by Mr. Dunham, which was both in-person and live-streamed. He explained the IB program and the IB diploma as well as some IB course options.

At the middle school, 50% of students are already taking higher level/ advanced courses before coming to VHS, where the IB curriculum can sustain this acceleration.