22 Books to Read in 2022

Ana Sargent, Journalist

If you’re looking to read more in the new year, here are 22 books you should check out in 2022:

Book 1: I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

A poignant story about love, loss, family, and identity, I’ll Give You the Sun is one of the best books I’ve ever read. Masterfully crafted, it alternates between the perspectives of twins Noah and Jude, with Noah’s part taking place when the two are thirteen and Jude’s part set multiple years later after a loss has completely altered the course of their lives. Filled with heartwarming and heartbreaking moments, it is sure to make you both smile and cry.  

Books 2-4: The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

If you haven’t already read The Hunger Games, this is a call to do so. Through the series, Suzanne Collins impeccably constructs a dystopian world and carries out a fast-paced plot that will keep even the most reluctant reader hooked. Plus, Katniss is such a well-developed and multidimensional character that you can’t help but root for her.

Book 5: With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo

In With the Fire on High, Elizabeth Acevedo tells a captivating story surrounding Emoni Santiago, a high school senior and mom of a two-year-old with a passion for cooking. The vivid descriptions of Emoni’s culinary creations showcased Acevedo’s fantastic prose. But for me, the highlight of the book was the depiction of Emoni’s bonds with her Abuela, daughter, and best friend.

Books 6-9: The Heartstopper Series by Alice Oseman

Heartstopper is a graphic novel series that follows two boys, Nick and Charlie, as they meet and fall in love at an English Grammar School. Alice Oseman’s art is gorgeous, and Nick and Charlie’s storyline is impossible to not be invested in. Plus, equally wonderful side characters add the perfect touch to an already amazing story.

Book 10: The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo

A novel written in verse, The Poet X centers around Xiomara Batista, a teen who finds a way to express herself through slam poetry. Elizabeth Acevedo expertly infuses each line with meaning and intention, creating an unforgettable reading experience. If you have the chance to, check out the audiobook, which is read by Acevedo herself. 

Books 11-12: The Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo

Even though I don’t usually enjoy fantasy books, I adored Leigh Bardugo’s enthralling Six of Crows duology. The story follows six extremely well-developed characters on an action-packed heist, creating an unparalleled reading experience. Additionally, Bardugo expertly builds upon the world she developed in an earlier work, the Shadow and Bone Trilogy, fully bringing the Grishaverse to life.                           

Book 13: Little Fires Everywhere Celeste Ng

Set in a 1990s suburban community, Little Fires Everywhere is a gripping literary fiction novel focused on themes of race, class, and motherhood in addition to critiquing the uniformity of planned communities. Celeste Ng crafts a both beautiful and heartbreaking story, so be prepared to shed a tear or two over it. 

Books 14-16: The Truly Devious Trilogy by Maureen Johnson

A fast-paced mystery, Truly Devious begins when amateur detective Stevie Bell begins school at the prestigious Ellingham Academy. As part of her schooling, Stevie attempts to solve a century-old cold case that occurred on campus but finds herself at the center of an ever larger mystery. Including well-developed characters, a thrilling plot, and a sprinkle of romance, Truly Devious is an overall enjoyable read.

Book 17: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Chronicling the lives of four sisters growing up during the Civil War era, Little Women is a classic that I fully believe deserves the praise it gets. Despite living in a completely different era, Amy, Meg, Jo, and Beth are compelling characters, and after having read over 600 pages about their adventures, you’ll be completely invested.

Books 18-21: The Diviners Series by Libba Bray

The Diviners is a perfectly cultivated mix of genres, including suspenseful, historical, and paranormal elements. It follows party girl Evie O’Neill, who is sent to live with her uncle in New York City after her supernatural abilities get her in trouble. There, she becomes involved in a search for an elusive killer. Filled with entertaining characters and a suspenseful plot, the story is sure to keep you engaged. 

Book 22: Radio Silence by Alice Oseman

Radio Silence follows Frances Janvier, overwhelmed student and creator of fan art, as she attempts to navigate her teenage years. Frances’s story takes a turn when she finds out that the quiet boy from her school is actually the creator of her favorite podcast, Universe City. Packed with relatability and themes of friendship and self-discovery, Radio Silence is a book you will fly through and stay invested in until the end.