Just One Word

Just One Word

Salwa Nadeem, Journalist

If you are ever endlessly scrolling through TikTok endlessly, just waiting for a spark of motivation to write that literary response due at 11:59pm tonight, you are not alone. My math teacher asked us about our New Year’s Resolutions. Mrs. Moyer told us about how at the beginning of every year, she chooses a word. It can be anything. For example, confidence or positivity. Her “word” for this year is “3, 2, 1..” and at the end of 1 you get up and do whatever you were procrastinating. But don’t overuse it, and don’t use it if you know you wont get up regardless. Use it carefully.

Personally I don’t traditionally make New Year’s Resolutions. 2022 is special, the year I have been waiting for for the past 12 years. Only 6 more months until I am fully done with high school. This coming summer is a cloud hanging over my head. Moving out of my parents house, becoming financially independent, making completely new friends, and starting college. Even the small things like sharing a bathroom or shower with people I have never met. My word for this year would be “Self-Sustaining.” I don’t want to lose my head in the chaos, nor lose my values, my opinions, and my life. I need to be able to trust myself to stay calm, and just have one word to focus on for the year with.