National Honor Society Welcomes Its Newest Advisor and Fall Membership!

Rania Khan, Journalist

On November 5th, upperclassmen applicants anxiously awaited letters regarding their acceptance into the Green and Gold Chapter of the National Honor Society. During 6th period, decisions were emailed out, and the entirety of the fall membership was finally decided. But what is the National Honor Society? And how does it make an impact here at Vestal High School and the community at large? Through an interview with this year’s newest advisor, Ms. Wilson, we find out what makes membership of this organization coveted by high school students across America.

The National Honor Society was created in 1921, with the intention of allowing students to cultivate and employ their leadership skills within their schools and communities. High academic achievement is necessary (you need at least a 90% average), but being considered for membership goes beyond that. The National Honor Society has four pillars– Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character– and NHS students need to reflect these characteristics. Part of the application process requires an essay describing what be

ing a leader means to you, and how you can emulate one. A committee reads through the essays and resumes to determine whether or not you made the cut.

Ms. Wilson is the new advisor for the Green and Gold Chapter! She is our dedicated orchestra teacher and has her own experiences and memories of NHS in high school. She participated in community service through various institutions such as her church and the music department. She says that NHS allows students to become more involved and opens up job opportunities within the community– in a variety of places like hospitals, shelters, and nursing homes. Students are required to complete 10 service hours per semester, and they have the liberty of choosing what they volunteer for.

Oftentimes, community members reach out to the NHS chapter here at the high school asking for volunteers and help. In October, seniors painted pumpkins for Ross Park. Students currently can participate in Student Government’s holiday card drive for the nursing homes, and for Thanksgiving, there is an ongoing food drive for CHOW. As always, NHS provides tutors in a variety of subjects for students throughout the year.

There are two applications in the year, one in the Fall and another in the Spring (which provides a great opportunity for reapplication). Induction for the new Fall membership will be held in December.

The National Honor Society looks great on college applications, as it allows you to grow as a student and leader, making it a great organization to apply for at the start of junior year. Ms. Wilson thinks the seniors, in particular, are hoping for the possibility of sage green NHS sweaters (Let’s hope we can make that a reality!).

Lastly, congratulations to the newest members of NHS!