Jennifer Bittler: Assistant Principal of Many Talents

Rania Khan, journalist

Vestal has welcomed many new staff members to the high school this year, including one of our new assistant principals: Mrs. Jennifer Bittler! Golden Bear blood has run through her veins for a while; her husband is a Vestal High School alumni and she lives nearby. She feels that becoming part of Vestal’s team was the perfect fit (coincidentally, her favorite color is also green!).

Bittler has been an educator for 19 years. She is starting her 20th year here at Vestal in a new suit of green and gold after spending the past 16 years in black and orange at Union-Endicott School District. She began her career as a kindergarten and first-grade teacher in the Susquehanna Valley School District. When asked about the transition from elementary to secondary school, she says, “The transition has been terrific. The administrative team (Mrs. Young and Mrs. Miller) at VHS has helped make the transition so comfortable. They are extremely knowledgeable and supportive. Teachers and staff have also helped the transition go smoothly. Everyone has been so welcoming and friendly!”

An adventurous soul, Bittler has many different hobbies and interests. She loves to travel, is a huge sports fan, loves to cook/bake, enjoys attending concerts, is a huge music fan (heavy metal/rock specifically), and is a total professional at Guitar Hero.

In an interview via email, she writes, “Name a sport or activity, my husband and I will probably play it. Skiing, racket ball, basketball, soccer, rock climbing, scuba diving, weight lifting, mountain biking, camping, backpacking, horseback riding, just to name a few.” Her favorite season is summer and her favorite place in the world is the Caribbean. To all our pasta lovers out there, her favorite foods in the world are from Italy. 

Some advice from Bittler for students that would like to become leaders in the field of education: 

“Be willing to listen and see other people’s perspectives and be a team player- it’s so important we build empathy and understanding, then we become more capable of finding beneficial solutions and learn to support everyone.”

Noting her transition from a U-E Tiger to a Vestal Golden Bear, Bittler writes: 

“Transitioning to a new school comes with challenges. Learning everyone’s name has been a huge endeavor! I am excited to continue working with and learning more about the students at VHS.” As Vestal students, it’s important that we show Mrs. Bittler what makes us so full of school spirit and pride, and welcome her to Vestal High School with a fantastic school year.