New Health Teacher

Ella McIntyre, journalist

Kate Darpino, a new teacher at Vestal High School, teaches health and sport media classes. This is her third year teaching. She spent two of her previous years at Vestal Middle School. This is her first year teaching at the high school. She is excited to teach high schoolers but says that she sometimes can’t help but miss the silliness that comes with teaching middle schoolers. Darpino grew up going to Union Endicott and is happy to be a Golden Bear for her first few years as a teacher. Darpino is the daughter of Mrs. Susan Darpino, VHS’s other beloved health teacher, and has taught alongside her bloodline. In addition to her mother, her uncle and sisters are teachers, too! Her father often hears many teaching stories at various dinners.

Growing up, Darpino had a special interest in health and taking care of herself. She enjoyed working with kids through working in a daycare and creating games in VBS close to churches. She used to- and still tries to- play soccer and volleyball in professional leagues. She does notice and tries to accommodate for the perfectionism seen in her students. Darpino’s message to the perfectionists of VHS: “Don’t let perfectionism be the enemy of the good.” Welcome to Vestal High School Miss Darpino! We hope you are enjoying your time here so far and continue to use your high spirited, excited energy as the year goes on.