German Teacher Brought to the High School

Lila Condie, Secretary and Calendar Events editor

After teaching middle school-level German for over a decade, Mrs. Mugavero has begun to split her time between high school and middle school teaching. She has worked in the Vestal School District since 1998, taking off only a few years to care for her children. Her career at Vestal started with an ad in the Sunday paper. A position for a part-time German and part-time Russian teacher was available at Vestal Middle School, one of the schools neighboring her undergraduate school in Binghamton, NY. She had settled down and was teaching at a community college in Herkimer, NY, but this new job seemed built for her after going to school to teach German and Russian. She had enjoyed being close to the Adirondacks in Herkimer with her husband, but simply could not turn down the opportunity. That Sunday paper led to over 25 years of her life spent in Vestal, NY.

Mugavero has found her passion at Vestal Middle School teaching German to seventh and eighth-graders. She is now splitting her time between middle and high school due to falling numbers of German students after limited interactions with sixth-graders during online school last year. With only half the number of learners as most years, she is working hard at recruiting new students at VMS and has asked for her previous class members now in high school to help this mission.

The transition from middle to high school teaching has been difficult due to her self-proclaimed lack of organization and slow work pace. She is working to improve these struggles as the year goes on, but hopes to be in her regular position next year. She loves working at the middle school level, and while enjoying the ability to reconnect with her past students, she is hopeful that this situation will not continue too far into the future and that she will not be at VHS for long enough for this routine to become too much of a habit.