Wednesday, Sept. 11

National Honor Society Declaration of Interest forms are now available in the Principal’s Office for Juniors and Seniors who are interested in applying to NHS.  Forms are due to the Counseling & Guidance Office this Friday, September 13th by 3 PM.

Attention Seniors – If you did not receive a fundraiser packet, please stop by the Principal’s Office and pick yours up today.  Sales from this fundraiser will benefit you and your class.   Sell 10 items receive a FREE Prom ticket, 15 items – Free Prom ticket for you and your guest, 25 items – Free Sr. Class Trip ticket, 50 items – $50.00 in Starbucks Gift Card. If you have any questions, please see Mrs. Harrington or Mrs. Gaylord in the Principal’s Office.   All orders are due to the Principal’s Office by Friday, September 20th.

The Vestal High School Visions Credit Union branch will be open starting this Thursday, September 12th regular hours from 11 AM – 1 PM.  We will then follow the posted hours at the branch.

Attention Students & Staff – The Student Store will be opening after school this Thursday, September 12th.

Varsity Club will hold their 1st meeting of the year this Thursday, September 12th at 7:30 AM in Rm. 181.  New members are always welcome!  You don’t need to be an athlete to be in Varsity Club.  We’ll be planning for our upcoming Spirit Week!!

Attention Sophomores – Our 1st class meeting will be held this Thursday at 7:40 AM in Rm. 290.  All are invited to attend.

Are you interested in Robotics, Engineering, Math or Science?  Then come to Tigertronics.  We are meeting this Thursday, September 12th at Union-Endicott High School in the C-Lab at 6:30 PM.  Bring your friends and get ready to have fun.

Students interested in joining Environmental Club, we will be meeting for the first time this Thursday, September 12th after school in Rm. 261.  Hope to see you there!

There will be a Science Olympiad meeting held in Rm. 277 after school this Thursday, September 12th.  Anyone interested in joining Science Olympiad are welcome to attend.

There will be a SADD meeting in the Cafeteria this Thursday, September 12th after school.  Anyone interested in joining SADD is welcome to attend!

Peace Club will be meeting this Thursday, after school in Rm. B48.

Join the VHS Drama Club!  Play theatre games with your friends, learn about working in theatre, practice your public speaking, and refine your resume!  You can be an actor, director, playwright, stage manager, or designer for our one-act plays – no theatre experience required!  Our first meeting is after school until 4 PM on Monday, September 16th in the Voices Rm. 116. Hope to see you there!

A Message from Mrs. Young

On September 11, 2001, 18 years ago today, the lives of countless Americans were forever changed in an instant as thousands of innocent men, women and children perished in the deadliest terror attack this nation has ever seen.  Today we honor those we lost and thank the brave first responders who saved many lives in the wake of this unspeakable tragedy.  We also want to thank the United States Armed Forces who protected our freedom then, and continue to do so at home and abroad.

Please join me as we take a moment of silence at this time to reflect and remember the nearly 3,000 people who lost their lives.

Sports

Golden Bears Swimming and Diving swept the Maine-Endwell Spartans last night for the second year in a row, taking first in 7 events.  First place finishes came from Ritaj El Ghissassi, Carlin Reyen, Anna Bishop, Xandria Heidrich, and Kelsey Callaghan.  Special shout-out to Ritaj for leaving her mark by setting a new pool record of 58.50 seconds in the 100 Butterfly!  Keep it up Bears!

Counseling & Guidance

Attention Students – Are you interested in attending a Service Academy?  There will be a Service Academy Night on Tuesday, September 17th at 6 PM at the Onondaga Community College in Syracuse.  Stop by the Counseling & Guidance Office for more information.

The Greater Binghamton Education Outreach Program (GBEOP) and the VHS Counseling & Guidance Department will be holding a career event on Thursday, September 19th from 6 – 8 PM during Open House/Curriculum Night in the Cafeteria.  Representatives from a wide variety of careers will be available to talk to students and their families about job opportunities.  Information about seasonal and part-time positions for students and current employment opportunities for adults will be shared.  Refreshments will be available.  There will be chances to win prizes.

Volunteers Needed

Student Volunteers will be needed to help with set-up and assist during the Career Event for Open House/ Curriculum Night, please sign up in the Counseling & Guidance Office.