Senior reflection: Trevor Barnes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior reflection: Trevor Barnes

Trevor Barnes

Overall, the Vestal Central School District has been fair to me as an individual. There is no other district I can think of that could have granted the opportunities I have gotten other than Vestal.

From a reflection mindset, most notable to me from Vestal are the flaws, not of the district in its entirety but of the many individuals that make up the source of student hardship. I have seen that if a student mindlessly meanders through the school system who is highly agreeable and holds no original thought, they’re able to succeed but with no gratitude nor have gained any intrinsic educational value. I do not believe this is ONLY true to Vestal but of the whole modern educational institution system in America.     

Fortunately, over the years I have woken up and analyzed the many things a student must endeavor to journey thru an educational institution. As well as the many aspects of an “education” that one must take into their own hands, concepts that aren’t directly fed to one by a teacher. I have adopted this idea that, If you ride the ride & jump the hurdles, every hurdle is a choice, a choice to pick your poison. Each choice must consist of some sort of suffering big or small. Hurdles being numskull assignments and poisons being the suffering that goes along with jumping the hurdle.

In an Institution with a hierarchical  structure, students at the bottom, teachers & staff in the middle & administration on the top there is a lot of orders that trickle down that no teacher or staff takes personal responsibility of when that order is broken or questioned by a student. This is called going into an “agentic state.” Best described from a “Loopa” Psychology textbook talking about Milgram’s theory of authority & obedience, “One explanation for obedience is The Agentic State. Milgram proposed “Agency theory” which suggests people are socialized from childhood to obey rules and this involves giving up some free will and autonomy. When an individual feels they have complete control they are autonomous and see themselves as responsible for their own actions. However when an individual obey’s an authority figure they enter the Agentic state where they no longer see themselves as responsible for their own behavior but an agent of the authority figure whose orders they are following. In this individuals eyes they see the authority figure as responsible for the consequences and they become de- individuated. People may enter the Agentic state because normally the concern around maintaining a positive self-image restricts behavior however the fact that responsibility shifts to the authority figure means perception of self is no longer relevant.(Loopahttps://www.loopa.co.uk/explanations-for-obedience/)

In an institution filled with no responsibility, one must elevate themselves to succeed intrinsically as well as jump the hurdles of the system.