Thinking about AP Euro?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Thinking about AP Euro?

Grace Zhou

Every year, many incoming freshman and sophomores face the decision of whether to take AP European History or not. This is a rigorous course that requires both time, dedication, as well as passion for learning about history.

What is it like?

• 15-30 minutes of homework daily
  • Pop quizzes
  • Tests approximately every 2 weeks (will vary)
  • Typed essays and written projects (4-6)
  • Minimal group projects

Students will be required to know their information and show a deep understanding. As the AP Exam is nearing, it is very necessary to review all the material learned along with new material that was unable to be covered in depth.

The exam itself is very crucial to the course. Without taking the exam, a student will NOT get college credit for the course. It is a timed test and scored out of 5 points. Students receive their scores in July and the tests are taken at the beginning of May.

Test Format:

• 55 multiple choice questions (document-based) / 40% of score
  • 3 short answer questions (2 mandatory, 3rd picked out of 2 choices) / 20% of score
  • 1 long essay (pick from 2-3 prompts) / 25% of score
  • 1 document-based essay / 15% of score
  • Total time: 3 hours, 15 minutes

The AP Exam is obviously very difficult which is why it is important to maintain good study habits throughout the year. It is advised to:

• Take organized notes
  • Look back at slides posted on the website
  • Make flashcards / use Quizlet
  • Read / Annotate review book
  • Use Spring Break wisely
  • Create a study plan
  • DON’T procrastinate

Overall, the AP European History course is an extremely beneficial class that raises your overall academic skills, teaches you how to give analysis, and helps increase your reading comprehension. It is a stepping stone for many harder classes and pushes you to try harder. However, that doesn’t mean it’s for everyone. It requires long hours of work, especially during the weeks before the exam. Students also have to balance a Global Regents which is not long after the exam but requires learning additional information.