Monday, March 4

Mental Health & Wellness Week Thought for the Day – Does Yoga help with teen anxiety? The answer is yes!! A recent study divided a group of 11th & 12th graders and gave them ½ a course in Yoga, and the other ½ had regular gym class. The students who took Yoga had less anxiety and were happier in general after 10 weeks. The students in the Yoga class also reported being able to focus better on their school work. So join us today during periods 5, 6 & 7 in Rm. 181 for a fun stress relieving Yoga class.

This week at Vestal High School is Mental Health & Wellness Week. We will be having fun activities during lunch periods and a theme every day. Today is “Mindful Monday” – wear your PJ’s and attend lunchtime Yoga in Rm. 181. Tuesday is “Tech- Free Tuesday” – wear 50’s attire and go Tech FREE “Power Off”, and there will be games& Bingo in the café during lunch periods. Wednesday is “Worry Free Wednesday” – wear yellow for Teen Suicide Prevention & Yellow Ribbons and pass on a smile, and check out smiley faces around the school. Thursday is “Thoughtful Thursday” – wear hearts or red and come spin the Wheel of Kindness before school and during lunch periods. Friday is “Fitness Friday” – wear your Green & Gold and we will be following the VHS Assembly Schedule # 6, and we will be watching the movie Angst and during lunch periods there will be local programs in the main lobby.

Attention Students – From this point on there will not be loitering or eating in the Atrium during lunch periods. You may go outside to hang out and eat or in the Cafeteria & Commons. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Attention Sophomores! Visions Federal Credit Union is looking for interns to work in our Vestal High School branch next year. You will learn to accurately perform teller transactions while providing exceptional member service. Previous work or volunteer experience a plus but not required. Stop by the Counseling & Guidance Office for more information on how to apply!

VHS Talent Fest is this Saturday, March 9th. Tickets are on sale this week Monday, March 4th – Friday, March 8th for only $5.00. Check out our Promo “Vestal Talent Fest Trailer 2019” on You Tube.

Talent Fest Rehearsals begin this Tuesday, March 5th from 3 to 5 PM in the VHS Auditorium. There is no practice today.

Come join us for a super Spanish Club meeting TODAY after school in Rm. 236. Listen to some great Spanish music and learn some authentic dances!!

Yes Leads is having a Candy Gram Sale during lunch periods this week for the Talent Fest.

Registration is now open for the Running of the Bears 5K. The race will be Saturday, March 30th here at VHS. You can sign-up to run or walk. Food, prizes, fun for all. See Mrs. Darpino or Mrs. Schofield for registration forms or for more information.

Attention Juniors & Seniors – NHS Spring Interest forms are now available in the Principal’s Office. The deadline to turn in your Interest Form to the Counseling & Guidance Office is 3:00 PM on Friday, March 8, 2019. This is a firm deadline – no forms will be accepted after this time & date.

Mrs. McAllister is looking for students that would be interested in babysitting for the Vestal Central School District movie presentation of Angst on Monday, March 11th. Please see Mrs. McAllister or sign up in the Counseling & Guidance Office by next Friday, March 8th.

Sports

Congratulations to the Indoor Track Competitors who competed at the New York State Championships this past weekend. A big Golden Bear congrats to Tia Jones who is the State Champion in the 55 Meter Run.

Attention Winter Athletes – The Block V Awards Ceremony will be held this Tuesday, March 5th at 6 PM in the VHS Auditorium. See you there!!

Outdoor Track begins today, meet at 3:15 PM at Clayton Ave. Elementary

Girls Lacrosse try-outs are today, after school from 3:15 – 5 PM at the 434 Sports Complex.

Athletes that have sign up for Softball – The JV & V Softball try-outs will begin today at the Sports Complex on the Vestal Parkway by Chucksters. There will be a bus at the Stadium loop to take you to the Sports Complex after school. You must get your own ride home from the Spots Complex after try-outs.

Varsity Tennis try-outs will begin on Monday, March 11th! That’s, Monday, March 11th. Meet in Rm. 148 from 3 – 4 PM, dressed to workout.