Vestal Music Program: How Important Is It?

Caption.
Caption.

Caption.

Photographer

Photographer

Caption.

Karson Smith

The music program at Vestal is one of the best in the area, which is something to be proud of. To a lot of students, music is just as important as sports or art may be to others. There is a wide variety of musical talent to be found within Vestal High School; including the band, orchestra, and the many voice groups. In order to allow the music program to continue to flourish, the district should treat it as equal to athletics.

As a member of the orchestra myself, I can attest to the amazing sense of community it provides and how it has helped me grow as a musician. I will also have the opportunity to travel to Chicago to preform, which is a once in a lifetime experience for many. While I am also a part of the athletic program, I feel that they are equal and should be treated as so. In many cases, music programs are the first to feel the effects of budget cuts, but there are several reasons why this should not be the case.

For one, being educated in music starting at a young age can have a significant effect on the development of a student. Music education can help with several skill sets, including but not limited to listening, observing, teamwork, hand-eye coordination, discipline, and learning how to control nerves. Not to mention, a study conducted at the University of Kansas shows that schools with more developed music programs scored higher on standardized tests than schools with less developed programs. Apart from the educational benefits of music, it can also serve as a safe space for students. For many, it’s an escape from the chaos of daily life and acts as an outlet for students to express themselves. To ever remove this from Vestal would have a detrimental effect on our school community.

Many students have gone through music education at Vestal and went on to get scholarships to college for various kinds of music. This program not only provides a fun activity, but also gives talented students careers – just like sports can. This just goes to show the importance of our music program. It not only helps us now, but it will be significantly beneficial to all of us in our future.